A stunning cake that is not only a chocolate sponge but is also sandwiched with chocolate and has yet more chocolate all over it! A chocaholic’s heavenly delight.
Takes 1 hour 20 minutes to make, plus cooling
* 100g spreadable butter, plus extra for greasing
* 250ml milk
* 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
* 100g plain chocolate, melted
* 15g cocoa powder, sifted
* 300g self-raising flour, sifted
* 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, sifted
* 225g golden caster sugar
* 2 eggs
* For the icing
* 225g plain chocolate, broken up
* 100g butter
* 142ml carton double cream
36.2g fat (21.9g saturated)
Method: How to make chocolate fudge cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan160C/gas 4. Grease a 20cm round, deep cake tin and line with baking paper. Mix the milk and vinegar. Place all the other cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the milk mixture and beat with an electric hand whisk, until smooth. Spread into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour, until firm in the centre. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out on a rack to cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, make the icing. Melt the chocolate and butter together in the microwave for 3 minutes on medium, stirring halfway through. Alternatively, melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of just simmering water. Stir until smooth, then beat in the cream. Cool slightly.
3. Halve the cake through the middle. Spread a quarter of the icing on 1 half and sandwich together. Spread the rest over the top and sides.
The cake will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight box.
via Chocolate Fudge Cake Recipe | Food | Channel4.com.