Yield: 12 servings
12 oz (340 g) semisweet chocolate (45-50 % cocoa)
5 tablespoons (1/3 cup) butter
5 tablespoons (1/3 cup) milk
5 tablespoons (1/3 cup) finely ground almonds
4/5 cup (180 g) sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs, separated
Flourless chocolate cake
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F (Gas mark 4 or 180 deg C).
2. Line a 9 in (23 cm) cake tin with grease proof or other non-stick paper and grease the tin.
3. Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it with butter and milk over hot water.
4. Beat the egg yolks with half of the sugar.
5. Fold in the melted butter and chocolate mixture.
6. Fold inn ground almonds and baking powder.
7. Beat egg whites until frothy by using an electric mixer; gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
8. Fold in the beaten egg whites.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Please note that cakes of this type will collapse and look like a pie (see the picture).
The Flourless Chocolate Cake may be served warm or cold with whipped cream. The cream may be dusted with cocoa powder before serving, and the cake may be dusted with powdered sugar.
1. You may add one teaspoon of ground cinnamon together with the almonds. This gives a more spicy flavor.
2. If you add ¼ teaspoon of almond extract the almond flavor will be enhanced.