This icing goes perfectly with the Chocolate Cupcakes or Vanilla Cupcakes.
¾ cups of powdered baking chocolate or 4 onz unsweetened chocolate melted
½ cup (1 stick) of butter (113 g)
½ cup of vegetable shortening (I use Crisco) (102 grams)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla (2.5ml)
4 cups of confectioners sugar (512 g)
¼ Cup (59 ml) of milk or cream (the choice is yours depending on your like)
Yields enough to lightly cover 24 Cupcakes.
1. Cream butter and vegetable shortening at Med-High speed until light and fluffy.
2. Add cocoa and 1 cup sugar (already sifted together) mix on low speed until incorporated.
3. Continue to add sugar alternately with the milk and vanilla and mix on low speed until incorporated then move to high speed. Beat to a spreading consistency.
4. Add more milk if needed until to desired consistency.
Variations to this Buttercream frosting:
* To dilute the consistency, add 2 tablespoons of syrup (dark corn syrup), chocolate milk or water, and beat. Continue the process until desired consistency.
* To thicken add 2 tablespoons of sifted confectioners’ sugar and mix. Continue the process until desired consistency.
* To make a Mocha Buttercream Frosting: instead of adding milk or cream, replace the same amount of liquid for strong brewedcoffee .