Cupcake + ice cream = heaven!
Mocha Ice Cream Cupcakes
Makes 6 cupcakes
Prep Time: 30 min (plus 1 hour for chilling)
One 12-count box sugar ice cream cones
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
One 3-ounce bar semisweet chocolate, plus more for shavings
3 cups coffee ice cream, softened
1/2 cup chocolate-covered espresso beans, finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon icing (confectioners) sugar
1. Using a food processor, grind the ice cream cones into fine crumbs. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the butter. Divide the crumb mixture among the cups of a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan and press about three-quarters of the way up the sides of each cup. Spoon 1 tablespoon almonds into each cup.
2. In a small, microwaveable bowl, melt 3 ounces chocolate at medium power in intervals, stirring occasionally. Top the almonds with the melted chocolate to cover. Freeze for 10 minutes.
3. Spoon about 2 tablespoons ice cream into each muffin cup. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon chopped espresso beans onto the ice cream and flatten with the back of a spoon. Add another 2 tablespoons ice cream and the remaining almonds and flatten again. Add the remaining ice cream and espresso beans, and flatten. Freeze for at least 1 hour.
4. Whip the cream and confectioners’ sugar until soft peaks form.
5. Run a knife around the edges of the muffin cups to remove from the pan. Top the cakes with the whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
6. Sit back, feet up and enjoy!
Spotted this recipe in Rachel Ray’s “Everyday” Magazine but you could make this recipe even better by substituting crushed Oreos for the ice cream cones.